Tree pruning doesn’t seem like it would be all that complicated, but there is a method and an art form to correctly clipping and taking care of a tree. Doing this correctly is incredibly important to the vitality, health, and well-being of your trees. Pruning a tree wrong can cause it serious injury.
Our expert tree pruners have the knowledge and understanding you need to help maintain your trees in the best condition possible.
Benefits of tree pruning maintenance:
- Cutting off dead limbs and branches enhances the beauty of the tree
- Allows sunlight to more effectively get to branches for dense, healthy growth
- Protects against pests and diseases
- Makes the tree more vigorous
- Enables surrounding plants to grow better
When you should think about pruning:
- You want to shape your trees and make them look better
- There is dead wood on the tree, or sagging branches
- Your trees have not been thinned in more than 3 years
- Your tree is getting into electric lines or getting too close to structures
- Trees are crossing over your property line
- Tree are lopsided or unbalanced looking
- Trees are covering the view from your property
When is the optimal season for tree pruning?
The optimal timing for pruning will vary depending on the type of tree and where you reside. In general, it’s best to have a tree pruner cut back your trees during the dormant season.
Wintertime is a good time for tree maintenance because the remainder of your backyard should not require any attention during that time. Thinning trees prior to the springtime sprouting and growing season will allow your trees to shoot out and flourish nicely.
There is generally no problem doing tree maintenance during the spring and summer months as well, particularly if there is any dead wood, disease, or overgrowth.
Palm Tree Pruning
Palm trees need a great deal of care during pruning. Cutting the limbs at the wrong time can leave them defenseless against diseases. Palm trees should be pruned when the older growth has turned brown and died. This is generally one or two times in a year.
Keeping up with regular maintenance is important for avoiding damage and injuries from hard and heavy falling palm branches.
Pine Tree Pruning
The best time to cut back your pine trees is in the first part of springtime, but if at any time you find dying or diseased branches, it’s a good idea to take care of those.
Using proper pruning techniques is really essential. Hacking back branches to shorten them, is really a bad idea because it could stop the branch from growing completely. That could leave the branch stunted and off balance forever.
In the spring when the pine tree starts to sprout out, pinching back the fresh growth tips can provide a compact and thick growth that is especially attractive.
Knowing Your Trees
As you may now appreciate, every variety of tree has different methods of pruning which are optimal for its species. Getting a qualified tree service company to take care of your trees is the best way to keep them healthy, happy and beautiful.
Tree Pruning by State: